4K High Definition Challenges Legacy Production Networks
Production networks around the world are rapidly scaling to support new 4K high-definition digital production and distribution standards and 8K is pushing quickly behind in some facilities. Traditional copper-based media network technologies are no longer suitable or scalable solutions for these high-speed networks. At the same time, dramatic reduction in HD Pro Camcorder cost is leading to a massive scaling in the numbers of cameras used in studios and at live sporting and entertainment events. Together these factors are fueling content networks rich with single-mode optical fiber and these networks need to be managed and switched on demand.
New media production data centers must also support complex multi-protocol, variable bit-rate environments including multiple video formats, various ethernet speeds, and other protocols such as KVM. Current OEO media switching solutions are complex, high in cost, and they don’t easily scale to support newly evolving standards and protocols.
Optical Circuit Switching – A New Solution For Media Datacenters
CALIENT’s S-Series Optical Circuit Switching solutions offer the high capacity, complete protocol independence, unlimited scalability and low cost needed to support this new generation of production data centers. The benefits of S-Series Optical Circuit Switches for media networks include:
- Fully passive optical path design supports all bitrates and multi-protocol environments on single-mode fiber (Video, Ethernet, KVM, etc)
- Industry leading port density (320×320 or 160×160) supports large production facilities and mobile vans
- Scales to support bandwidth-per-link from 10G to 40G to 100G to 400G with no additional investment.
- Supports single-channel optics or CWDM/DWDM on each path.
- Lowest CAPEX and lowest Total Cost of Ownership.
- SDN compatible Software Management with multiple standard APIs simplifies facility management and resource optimization.
- Highly reliable Telcordia NEBS GR-63 and GR-1073 compliant