SDN at Light Speed
CALIENT’s new S Series Product Line is a family of scalable optical circuit switches with port densities ranging from 160 to 320 ports. Small form factor, low power consumption, and fast switching speed make the S Series switches highly suited to data center, cloud computing, service provider, and government applications.
The explosion of video and other Internet data is driving the demand for flexible, scalable, high-bandwidth networks. CALIENT’s S320 Optical Circuit Switch is a reliable and cost-effective solution for these networks because the technology is transparent to data speed, and is protocol agnostic, thus it offers very high bandwidth and configuration flexibility as networks grow in speed from 10Gbps to 40Gbps, 100Gbps, and beyond.
Based on field proven 3D Optical MEMS technology that CALIENT has deployed in more than 400,000 optical connections globally, the new S320 Optical Circuit Switch delivers a sweet-spot of high reliability, small form factor, low power consumption and cost, and ease of use that allows the benefits of true all-optical switching to be realized for the first time in a wide range of service provider and data center applications.
The S160 Optical Circuit Switch delivers the same powerful feature set as its larger cousin, the S320, but with a smaller 160-port count to support applications requiring lower capacities. Typical deployment applications include smaller data centers, mobile media production studios, and sharing of high value optical test equipment in development labs and manufacturing facilities.
The S Series Optical Circuit Switches provides the scalable and protocol independent software defined fiber interconnect and management infrastructure for a wide range of Data Center, Service Provider, and Government applications including:
- Flexible, scalable on-demand resource optimization in enterprise and cloud computing data centers
- Software defined optical topology management in multi-tenant data centers and co-location
- Rapid disaster-recovery from multiple network failure scenarios in any optical network application
- Remote configuration and restoration of high-value subsea cable networks
- High port count colorless, directionless and contention-less (CDC) ROADMs in fiber-optic service provider networks
- Fiber To The Home (FTTH/FTTP) network automation – automated service activation & testing
- Cyber security: Protection of critical network infrastructure from cyber attacks
- Sharing of high-value testing resources in lab automation & Cyber-range applications
Features & Benefits
- Small Size: 160 or 320 Ports (Tx/Rx pairs) in 7RU Chassis (LC Connectors)
- Ultra-Low Power Operation: Less than 45 Watts typical
- Low CAPEX: Supports deployment in data center, service provider, and government networks
- Ultra-low Latency: All-optical connectivity adds no latency.
- Scalable: Supports all data rates to 100 Gbps and beyond
- Reliable: Based on proven 3D MEMS design deployed in over 100,000 fiber terminations globally
- Simple to install, integrate and use: GUI- driven, EMS-ready, supports TL1, SNMP, CORBA, and OpenFlow
- Low loss: 3 dB maximum insertion loss
- Built-in power monitoring: Every in/out fiber is monitored providing powerful network diagnostic capabilities.